Sunday, July 7, 2002

Calgary Stampede Marathon July 7, 2002

Documenting Days Gone By
photos are scanned from prints
recap stories are  from what I wrote in a journal

The recap stories I wrote after completing races are very detailed and I wrote some very personal feelings which I never shared before.  I share all the words here word for word yet substituting initials for names.     

Stampede Marathon
July 7, 2002

a photo of the scrapbook page I made for this race

Recap Story 
(written on July 7, 2002 as soon as I got home)

I completed my second marathon and took 13 minutes off my time from last year to finish at 4:22.  I went to bed at 9:00 and fell asleep pretty much within a half hour.  Slept great and woke up at 4:00am and got up - had a shower.  Had a few drinks of coffee and ate a bowl of porridge and a bit later a banana.  It's looking like it's going to be a hot beautiful day.  Dry my hair, get dressed, wore my green outfit, have a few pee breaks and I'm ready to leave.  Parked same place as last year.  Got there about 6:15.  Put sunscreen on and headed to the waiting area, went to the toilet three times, and just walked around.  It felt a bit cool and I was shivering a bit.  With 20 minutes to go I went over to the start area  which was on 9th Ave, different from last year.  I went to mid to back of pack and waited to start.  Gun went off and because it was chip timing, I start my watch at the mat.  Set it for 10 & 1 then start chrono.  I run my pace which according to markers was about 6:25 for first # of kms. We ran through the zoo, saw the tigers, a peacock and some kangaroo type animals.    Bridgeland I saw T. go by in the Renfrew van.  We said Hi.  A bit of a breeze on Memorial Drive but it was nice not strong enough to hold me back.  Saw L. along the way cheering everyone on.  Thought I might have to pee but kept putting it off and then I didn't have to.  Reached the halfway mark at 2:06 and I think I saw Smiles Photography there, but I'm not sure.  But I know I felt a bit tired, carried on. At 28km I thought Oh God! I'm tired but was able to carry on with 10 & 1 and just said to myself just keep going, you can do it.  Came upon the wall and saw T. again.  At that point I was still able to do 10 & 1 and I think it was at close to the 33km mark.  Had my gels at the 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30 timings.  Getting onto 35km I'm thinking I may have to walk a bit and I'm starting to get emotional, but just try to keep control and stick to my plan.  I do end up having some more walk breaks and running for shorter periods but I am able to push on.  People are saying "dig deep" and I think they realize I am emotional and all cheering me on.  I took my sunglasses of because I want my eyes to show in the finish line photo.  People are still saying "dig deep you're almost there, looking strong."  I'm coming around the corner someone yells "smile the camera is waiting for you, dig deep, look straight ahead you can see the finish."  I am so emotional, people are cheering.  I raise my arms in the air as I cross the finish line!  Victory!  A lady takes me aside to get my chip off my sneaker, she sits me on a hay stack to cut it off.  I am crying a bit and another lady holds me, puts her arm around me and asked me if they were tears of joy and I said yes.  She asked if I wanted to go into the medical tent but I said I was O.K.  I even remember the gentleman putting the medal around my neck.  Another Marathon Medal.  I met up with D., J., N. and Y. We walked around a bit and took pictures.  I won a draw prize a thermos coffee mug.  Had our picture taken with Mark Sutherland son of Kelly Sutherland, chuckwagon driver.  The girls walked me back to my car and I drove home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always curious to know what your comment might be!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.